Quotes

  • "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of it's creed: "We hold these truths to self-evident that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave-owners will be to the sit down together at the talbe of brother-hood...I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of character." -Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial
  • "But when a long train of abuses and usurptions pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them uder absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards to their future security." -Declaration of Independence
  • "There are no safe choices, Miss Temple. Only other choices." -A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • "If you are a painter, paint. It doesn't mean you have to paint Jesus into every picture, just paint good. If you paint good enough, then people will aask why you do what you do." -Issac Slay; The Fray (on why the band doesn't use the name of Jesus in every song)

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Important lesson on helmets...

I have just recently learned an important lesson about helmets: if you take a fall and hit your head, go ahead and replace the helmet! I learned this the hard way last Wednesday.

Yes, I did take another spill off a horse, this time on MJ, my mare. We're taking a jumping lesson Wednesday night and as we were going over the jumping lines, I fell behind MJ's motion and she rushed the jump, which made me lose my balance completely. I went straight up in the air and fell off on the side, landing hard on my head and then my back. I'm not sure, but I probably blacked out for a second before waking up completely dazed and everything spinning around me. After a minute, I eventually got up and got my horse, but for a week after I had chronic headaches and even migraines which caused dizziness and some nausea. It wasn't until yesterday I went to doctor and (after giving me a death glare for five minutes) he ordered a CT scan on my head and cervical x-rays on my neck.

Everything turned out alright; turns out I had a mild concussion. He did warn me if I fell off and hit my head again within a month, I could have chronic headaches and even neurological problems. Other than that, everything was normal.

Moral of this story? If I had replaced my helmet when I fell off in March, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened. There's a reason why the helmet companies say to replace the helmets if they take a hit: even if there aren't any visible cracks or damage on the helmet, there could be hidden damage underneath the shell. And I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my helmet. Even though I couldn't see any damage to it on the outside, there was more likely damage on the inside. So when I fell Wednesday, my helmet wasn't able prevent a mild concussion, even though I know that if I wasn't wearing a helmet, things could've been much, much worse. So after I get done with this entry, I'm going on the helmet company's website and see if they have a warranty on my helmet. If they do, then I can send it in and they'll send one back to me as a replacement.

On another note, if anyone knows of anybody selling an older Dover jumping saddle in good condition for a decent price, let me know. The reason for my fall was based on my English saddle because of how slippery it is. I have a hard time keeping my balance in it, especially going over jumps. So if anyone knows anyone selling an older Dover jumping saddle or even a Stubben jumping saddle for a decent price, post a comment and let me know. I would really appreciate it. ^_^

God bless,
Jess

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you didn't take any serious damage from your fall. But next time go to the doctor sooner ( glares at you like the doctor) cause headaches can be the first sign of many different cranial injuries, some which are serious. As for the saddle, have you thought of adding super glue to your back pockets? Or maybe rubber cement? ^_^ You wouldn't be going anywhere then!

    ReplyDelete