Quotes

  • "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of it's creed: "We hold these truths to self-evident that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave-owners will be to the sit down together at the talbe of brother-hood...I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of character." -Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial
  • "But when a long train of abuses and usurptions pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them uder absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards to their future security." -Declaration of Independence
  • "There are no safe choices, Miss Temple. Only other choices." -A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • "If you are a painter, paint. It doesn't mean you have to paint Jesus into every picture, just paint good. If you paint good enough, then people will aask why you do what you do." -Issac Slay; The Fray (on why the band doesn't use the name of Jesus in every song)

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Big Bend Horse Show

Raider did very well at the Big Bend Horseman's Association show on Saturday. I showed him in Novice Western Horsemanship, Novice Trail, and Novice English Equitation. I was going to show him in the Senior Poles, but by the end of the day, everyone was extremely hot and exhausted, so I simply scratched him. In the Horsemanship class, he received a fifth place ribbon; in Trail, first; and in Equitation, he got second place. Even though he kept getting into trouble all day outside the arena (mostly it was getting into people's space and being downright nosy-typical little boy behavior), he was extremely well. We did have a bit of a trailering problem in the morning, but Marsha and I think that it was because we loaded him last, so he thought he didn't have enough room to get into the trailer. I was very happy and proud of how Raider handled all those people and horses around him; he took everything in stride.

This week has been pretty quiet at the barn with Marsha, Splash, and Balou in Texas at the Supreme Mustang Makeover. With everything quiet, it has given Raider and I chance to really work more with our right-lead (which he's finally getting) and starting on our simple lead changes. Even though he needs help getting into his right-lead, he's really getting the hang off getting into his left lead quickly. He's been getting faster and faster with it everyday.

Today, I also set up four cones in a square and practiced some foundation drills for barrel racing. After practicing the drills for a few minutes, he started getting the hang of it and his turns got smoother. Hopefully, tomorrow his turns will be even smoother than today. I'm also hoping that by the time he goes to Tennessee, Raider will have a nice barrel foundation under him, if not at least trotting around the barrels nicely. I also plan on doing some pole bending on him. I've already played around with the pattern around some tires, now I just need to take the poles that my dad made me over to Marsha's and play around with it more.

Other than that, not much else has been going on. Like I said, with Marsha in Texas, it's been very quiet around the barn.

So I guess that's it for now.

God Bless,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment